9 Ways to Have an Eco-Friendly Holiday Season
The holiday season is always a special time of the year when families gather for fun festivities; however, this season is not always an environmentally friendly one. From heavily packaged products and discarded Christmas trees to wasteful wrapping paper, the holiday season can take a real toll on the world around you.
The good news is it does not have to be that way. With a little bit of planning and some smart shopping, you can enjoy a wonderfully festive and environmentally conscious, eco-friendly holiday season.
1. Choose reusable gift bags and creative packaging over wasteful wrapping paper. You can use the same gift bags repeatedly to give any gifts you like.
2. Donate to an eco-friendly charity. If you are looking for a unique gift or a way to honor the person who has everything, donate in their name to an environmentally-minded charity.
3. Ditch the dead tree and go for replantable. Buying a potted Christmas tree means you can enjoy it in the living room now – and all year in your yard.
4. Avoid gifts with excessive packaging. Heavily packaged products are complex on the environment, so shop smart when you go holiday shopping.
5. Set up a recycling station at your holiday parties. Encouraging guests to recycle is good for the environment – and your conscience.
6. Decorate your holiday home the natural way. Instead of toxic tinsel, decorate your home with evergreen boughs and other natural elements.
7. Enjoy a local farm-to-table holiday feast. Farm to table dining is not just for restaurants, so stock your holiday feast with goodies from the local farmer’s market and nearby organic farms.
8. Donate your time to an environmental charity. Giving your time is even more meaningful than donating your money, so look for a cause you believe in and then support it with your efforts.
9. Make your gifts. If you want to step off the consumer treadmill and give more meaningful gifts, why not use your own skills instead? Handmade gifts are perfect for this time of year, so skip the mall and create your own one-of-a-kind presents.
The holiday season is the perfect time to reduce your environmental footprint, and there are plenty of ways to do just that. So now is the time to go eco-friendly. Start planning to implement the nine eco-friendly holiday strategies outlined above so you are all set when the holiday season approaches.
And More …
Are you ready to go a bit beyond and out of your usual box for your holiday lighting? If so, let the team at A Brilliant Solution Holiday Lighting get you started on a beautiful exterior lighting display. We hang lights, and yes that is what we always do with expertise and perfection.
It’s never too early to start planning for the upcoming holiday season. Unfortunately, our holiday lighting schedule fills up quickly, so act now if you are interested and give us a call to see what we can do for you.